Sunday, July 28, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

           The incident I am about to relate to you happened a couple of weeks ago while I was on vacation.  My husband and I went to a very family, friendly chain restaurant.  We love to eat breakfast there, especially on road trips; however, this particular experience rubbed me the wrong way.  I am probably taking it way too seriously and being overly sensitive about the experience. My husband and I went into the restaurant and we waited to be seated.  First of all, the hostess took her time getting us a table.  I believe we waited a good five minutes before being sat down.  It was a situation of we were the only people to have had walked in within the last ten minutes, however, she never said there might be a slight wait with your table, but she never took her time to look over to see that there was a small, clean table for two that we could have been sat at over five minutes ago.  When we were finally sat down, our waitress did not even give me time to open my menu before asking what I wanted to eat.  I told her, ‘I don’t know yet but I do want orange juice to drink (she did not even ask my husband what he wanted to drink.)  It was ten minutes before I got my orange juice and my husband’s drink order was taken.  When she came back with my husband’s drink, then the waitress took our meal order.  Our meal finally came out to us about thirty-five minutes later.  Our check was handed to us within five minutes of receiving the meal.  Not once, were we asked for refills or if our meal was to our liking.  However, the waitress was very friendly with another couple who were of the same race as her.  She asked them how they were and let them have time to order while she brought the couple their beverages.  I noticed the waitress was the same way with other couples who were of the same race.   Now, I may be looking at this too deep like I said, but I felt slided by this particular waitress.  I will say that our food was good, but I did not feel we were receiving the same customer services as the others at her station.  The microaggression may have been unintentional simply because this waitress was busy and tables were full, and she may have detected a vibe that we were a little put off from the way the hostess greeted and seated us. 

                One thing I have learned about microaggressions is that sometimes when another person’s mood or emotions spill out from circumstances of the day it has nothing to do with that person’s culture, race, or ethnicity group.  However, we must learn to take the good with the bad and not prejudge a person’s actions on the basis of their culture, race, and ethnicity in order to prevent ourselves from saying something we might regret later.        

No comments:

Post a Comment