Saturday, March 23, 2013

Culture's Interwoven Beauty


Through the different definitions of culture I received from my mother, my husband, and a friend who is a different religion than myself, I found that each had an different aspect of culture to point out.  My mother brought up the importance that culture is something is part of our background.  My friend brought up the fact that it is what we believe, and my husband made the point that culture is the actions and routines we do in our day to day life. 
Each of my family and friends’ definitions provide important information for examples.  To elaborate, my mother’s definition brings up the point that we get our culture from family.  Next, my friend pointed out that our culture is shaped by our beliefs.  Finally, my husband pointed out surface aspects of our culture dealing with how we cook, clean, work, and dress. Several aspects that have been left out of the definition of culture were how people learn and socialize within their culture.
I find that the way each of these people’s definitions overlap with one another.  I have found that my friend’s definition about how a person’s belief’s shapes each person’s day to day routines.  For instance, a person might dress modestly because he or she believes that being modest is important to one’s religious beliefs.  However, one’s religious beliefs can be shaped by from the person’s cultural background, meaning that the parent’s belief’s religious or non-religious can shape a person’s views on how they see the world.  All aspects of culture are very interconnected and make us who we are.  Both the surface culture is effected by our deep culture and vice versa.   
·          
o     

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your family and friends, our deep culture has everything to do with day to day life. We sometimes overlook this unless we have to explain why we do certain things or believe in something.

    ReplyDelete