Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Research: A Wider Perspective"


Insights that I have gained from our Building Research Competencies class that are research is an area that takes specific planning in order to gain the details that he or she needs for his or her data. Next, the way your research is gathered it takes flexibility because there might be days where from the findings of one day might lead you to take a different approach another way.   
My views about research has changed because I used to think that research done by people who lived in “ivory towers”, but I now realize that research can be done by anybody who has a concern or interest in their specific academic field.  For instance, as an early childhood educator I am seeing a great need in providing services to low-income families that need assistance on how to help provide a healthy academic, social/behavioral, and physical childhood.  In the area that I live there are many people who live in low-income situations that are not able to send his or her child to preschool.  I am interested to see the effects where an early childhood educator can provide techniques and resources to these parents.   
            When it comes to planning a research study it is best to have a variety of ways to collect data that can present information from many viewpoints, but, all draw towards to the same conclusion.  The way the research study should be conducted is where the participants can be informed clearly of what is expected of them and let it be known that the study is not going to harm anyone. Some of the challenges that can be encountered from research are that people do not always have the time to be on your schedule to conduct research so it is important that you realize when to expect the unexpected when it comes to scheduling and how results come out from your study.
            As an early childhood professional, I have realized that it is important to look at the purpose of research in a variety of ways.  For instance, as an educator, I can conduct research daily by finding the best way to present a standard from Common Core or I can use research help develop my interest for a particular topic or issue I see in the Early Childhood Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment